Subject: [bug#51845] [PATCH 0/2] Add librsvg-bootstrap

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 13:17:47 +0100

Hi Efraim,

I had completely overlooked these patches, oops!

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> librsvg is an input for emacs, gtk+@2 and gtk+@3. With the rust inputs
> this leads to (unknown) rust libraries causing the rebuild of over 3000
> packages on core-updates-frozen. Rather than hunt them down I tracked
> down the packages which would have many rebuilds and added a copy of
> librsvg for them to use.

[...]

> I'm suggesting that for gtk+@2 and gtk+@3 we use the bundled crates and
> for the other 101 packages we continue to use our current version, where
> we replace all of the bundled crates with our own copies, which get
> updated more often than librsvg does.
>
> With our current rust tooling I don't think it'd be that easy to find
> the ~226 crates that librsvg depends on, and it wouldn't be great to
> lock them due to librsvg being an input for gtk2/3.

Yes, that’s a problem, though Liliana is right that bundling isn’t great
either.

I’m annoyed by this whole librsvg situation.  On non-x86_64, we now
depend on librsvg 2.40, the old C version, and guess what, it just
works.  That has me tempted to stick with 2.40 all along because these
Rust problems don’t seem to have a pleasant, or even an easy solution.

Now, using the proposed ‘librsvg-bootstrap’ in GTK+ looks like a lesser
evil.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.