Subject: Re: bug#51840: 29.0.50; emoji does not show in menu

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:58:05 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2021-11-14 16:31]:
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:10:53 +0300
> > 
> > I have tried to define emoji for the easy menu, and it is not showing. I
> > am using Lucid version.
> > 
> > Screenshot:
> > https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-14/2021-11-14-13:47:52.png
> > 
> > My wish is that emoji start working in menu items.
> 
> Your menus are GTK menus, so this is a GTK issue.  Does GTK support
> Emoji in the menus?  Does the font used for GTK menus support them?

How do I find out which font to use? When I try to describe this one
😕 then I get error: cl--assertion-failed: Assertion failed: (not
(multibyte-string-p str)) 

Should I then do: M-x customize-face RET menu RET and change the font
to the one which supports emoji?

Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/