Subject: [bug#51838] [PATCH v5 20/45] guix: node-build-system: Add implicit libuv input.

From: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:41:41 +0100

Philip McGrath <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> On 12/17/21 00:08, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, dem 16.12.2021 um 21:03 -0500 schrieb Philip McGrath:
>>> * guix/build-system/node.scm (lower): Add the version of libuv
>>> used as an input to the #:node package as an additional implicit
>>> input, so that packages needing libuv always get the correct version.
>>> ---
>>>   guix/build-system/node.scm | 9 ++++++++-
>>>   1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>>>
>
> Tangentially, for the record, I'd considered as an alternative approach 
> making libuv a propagated input of node. That might be worth considering 
> one day, when we unbundle npm, but for now I think libuv is only needed 
> in a small minority of cases.

Not trying to dismiss this suggestion without a constructive
alternative, but I would prefer not having node's libuv be a propagated
input. What we need is some kind of 'propagated-for-builds-only-input'.

FWIW, I really like the current approach which works as long as we have
npm bundled, which realistically will still be the case for some
{weeks,months,years}.

 - Jelle