Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 20/45] guix: node-build-system: Add implicit libuv input.

From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 11:16:41 -0500

Hi,

On 12/17/21 00:08, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, dem 16.12.2021 um 21:03 -0500 schrieb Philip McGrath:
>> * guix/build-system/node.scm (lower): Add the version of libuv
>> used as an input to the #:node package as an additional implicit
>> input, so that packages needing libuv always get the correct version.
>> ---
>>   guix/build-system/node.scm | 9 ++++++++-
>>   1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>>
> Do this and #21 have to be separated so far from the rest?  If not, I'd
> do build system first, then new packages.  Otherwise fair enough.

I tried to follow Tim's suggestion in 
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51838#59> to put the changes related to 
#:absent-dependencies before the changes to support native addons, so 
that the earlier changes could potentially be applied even if there was 
more discussion needed for the later ones (if #:absent-dependencies were 
less controversial.

But note that the patches before this one aren't adding new packages; 
they are changing existing packages to use #:absent-dependencies rather 
than deleting the configure phase. So the series is ordered overall as:

  1. Changes to the `node` package itself
  2. Build system changes for #:absent-dependencies
     (including the delete-lockfiles phase, because un-deleting the
     configure phase exposes those problems)
  3. Packages changes to use #:absent-dependencies
  4. Build system changes to support native addons
  5. New packages to exercise the support for native addons

-Philip