Subject: [bug#51838] [PATCH 00/11] guix: node-build-system: Support compiling add-ons with node-gyp.

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:35:18 -0500

Hello!

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip McGrath <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Add a new phase `#:delete-package-lock` to remove the
>> problematic "package-lock.json".
>
> package-lock.json lists exact versions _and integrity hashes_; since it
> seems unlikely that after node-build-system's finaggling we end up with
> an identical hash, we will always have a mismatch and fetch 'proper'
> sources online accordingly. As far as npm + package-lock.json are
> concerned, we don't have them properly installed.
>
> From what I have seen package-lock.json offers us no benefits (because
> we track exact dependency information via the guix store) and can (as
> you have seen) prevent builds from working. My 2c: always remove it in a
> phase in the build system.

I’m inclined to agree with Jelle and Liliana.  I can’t imagine a
situation in which we would want the lock files.  We could be wrong, but
we can always adjust the build system later if something surprising
happens (e.g., ‘#:keep-lock-file?’ or whatever).

-- Tim