Subject: bug#51832: Piping unicode text in `shell-command'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:28:02 +0100

Philipp <[email-masked]> writes:

>> That didn't fix the issue for me, I'm afraid -- with that patch, LANG is
>> still the invalid en_NO.UTF-8 for me.
>
> Maybe we should add similar logic as iTerm2
> (https://github.com/gnachman/iTerm2/blob/79aff4d59fd591e7628649bcabe5f27541740bf6/sources/PTYSession.m#L7107):
> create the locale identifier from language code and country code
> instead of the current locale identifier,

I think that's what's Macos is returning -- it's just concatenating
those two codes to get a locale identifier.  (Which is wrong, of
course.)

> and use setlocale (or better, newlocale) to check whether it's valid,

Yes, that sounds good.

> and fall back to en_US.UTF-8 otherwise?

Hm...  I'd rather just leave LANG unset in that case -- it'll probably
lead to fewer glitches, I think.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no