Subject: Re: bug#51832: Piping unicode text in `shell-command'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:19:13 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe we set some locale-related environment variable, and that was
> confuses pbcopy when it is run from Emacs?

I've now followed the call tree, and we end up doing:

(call-process-region (point) (point) shell-file-name nil
                     (current-buffer) nil shell-command-switch
                     "echo foo😀bar | pbcopy")

And that fails, too.  So it's not something that shell-command sets up
(if it's a locale-related thing).

Hm...  Oh!  I thought the original report said that this worked if run
under M-x shell.  But it doesn't -- I get the same garbled selection.
(And it works fine in a shell outside Emacs.)

So it could indeed be a locale setting in Emacs that's making pbcopy do
the wrong thing. 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no