Subject: Re: [bug#51822] [PATCH] gnupg: Honor GnuPG's configuration for the key server.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:57:05 -0500

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Re,
>
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 at 15:21, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > If a server was used for doing something by Guix at version A, then
>> > this server is now down, is the something still now doable using this
>> > old version A of Guix?  Where this old version A is reachable by "guix
>> > time-machine".
>> >
>> > Maybe it does not make sense and it is not relevant.
>>
>> The default server that was hard-coded in Guix (or in GnuPG) in the past
>> would still not work *now*, even using an older Guix commit :-).
>
> Yeah, for sure.  My question is: because this server is not working
> *now* and hard-coded on previous version, is "guix time-machine" still
> working for all the subcommands?  Or is it broken as collateral damage
> of server down + hard coded? :-)

guix time-machine is not broken as a whole, but the 'guix refresh
--update' commands that makes use of the (guix gnupg) module would for
sure in whichever commit of Guix, unless pool.sks-keyservers.net is
revived.  As a workaround, the --key-server option can be set to
hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com (what became the default in recent GnuPG
releases).

Thanks,

Maxim