Subject: bug#51821: 29.0.50; Suggest add variable or frame parameter: line-height

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:12:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> +  DEFVAR_LISP ("line-height-factor", Vline_height_factor,
> +    doc: /* Factor for enlarging the height of lines that use the default font.
> +The value should be a float number greater than 1.  It determines how
> +much will Emacs enlarge the height of a screen line that shows only
> +characters displayed with the default face's font for ASCII characters.
> +This is to avoid differences in height between lines that use the
> +ASCII font and those which use non-ASCII (for example, Chinese)
> +font, which is typically higher than the ASCII one.  */);

Is tying this to the default font the best solution, though?  Emacs (by
default) uses at least two fonts -- one monospaced and one that's
proportional, and this will only fix the first issue.

So I think the original idea (adding a line-height parameter/variable)
would fix this issue in a more general way.

Testing the patch, it also affects the height of faces with :height in
them, meaning that separator lines get much taller than they should be.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no