Subject: Re: bug#51821: 29.0.50; Suggest add variable or frame parameter: line-height

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 08:34:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It has to work across different fonts -- I think that's the real use
>> case here, that if you're missing different fonts (which you commonly
>> are when writing with different scripts), then the Emacs display gets
>> pretty messy (uneven line heights all over the place).
>
> You mean, because of "tofu"?  But tofu doesn't change the line height,
> AFAIK.  So I think I'm missing something.

No, because they're using a mix of different fonts with different heights.

> The last part ruins it all.  I guess you are thinking about faces in
> their 'defface' form?  But when a face gets to be used by the display
> code, it is converted to the internal form and always completely
> specified, and thus always has an explicit :height property already
> calculated.  And of course the default face must always be completely
> specified at this point.

We can propagate the :height setting into the face object as
:requested-height or something.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no