Subject: Re: bug#51821: 29.0.50; Suggest add variable or frame parameter: line-height

From: "Feng Shu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 07:03:18 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 02:23:46 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> "Feng Shu" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Maybe we should add a variable or frame parameter: line-height
>> 
>> Sounds good to me.  Perhaps call it min{imum,}-line-height, though.
>
> IMO it should be line-height, for similarity with line-spacing.

Hi Eli and Lars

yestaday, I have tested with hack version of your patch, I think
line-height or line-height-factor is not a proper way to solve my core
problem.

   My core problem is how to let tab/mode/header-line and minibuffer's
   height do not change depend Chinese exist or not.

line-height-factor can let their height do not change, but the problem
is that the result looks very ugly, for line-space very large, It will
be painful in daily use.

so I think the good approach maybe is providing a simple way, by which
we can easy let no-ascii font use small height if a face is not used in
table like environment.

In my opinion "1 Chinese char width = 2 * ASCII char width" is *only*
useful in table like environment. let Chinese char's height <= ASCII
char's height will work well in other situation, and have no
tab/mode/header-line height change problem too.

--