Subject: Re: bug#51821: 29.0.50; Suggest add variable or frame parameter: line-height

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 10:25:05 +0200

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 15:26:21 +0800 (CST)
> From: tumashu  <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Po Lu" <[email-masked]>, "Lars Ingebrigtsen" <[email-masked]>, 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> 1. (setq line-height-factor 1.5)
> 2. M-x
> 3. yank "你好"
> 4. See minibuffer's height change or not.

Does it change just once, or does it keep changing after that?

If it changes just once, it's not a significant problem, since the
setting of line-height-factor is normally expected to be in the init
file, and so you will not see this one-time change.

> maybe the height should split two parts, ascent and decent: 
> 
>    real-ascent = ascent * line-height-factor
>    real-decent = decent * line-height-factor
> 
> The patch seem to not change decent.

Why do you want to change the descent?

Anyway, if we change the descent, the baseline of ASCII characters
will be higher, which I think will look ugly on display.  Are you
familiar with any other application which does that, i.e. displays
different scripts with different baseline?

You show an image of the mode line, but don't tell what is the problem
with it.  Did you try displaying Chinese characters there?  Or what
else is the problem with it?