Subject: bug#51819: The Senselessness of Emacs Company Mode

From: irenezerafa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 16:13:29 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, November 17th, 2021 at 3:40 AM, Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > No, it's as old as time, see:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Dynamic-Abbrevs.html
> > But you will have to press Meta-/ so maybe it's not what you're looking for.

> Or use company-dabbrev which comes with company (maybe it's even
> installed by default when you enable company, I don't remember). Or
> corfu with https://github.com/minad/corfu/issues/9#issuecomment-945090516,
> as explained above. Both of them support on-the-fly / as-you-type /
> whatever completions.

> That said, my main use case for emacs is also
> working with text (I mean, natural language) and I find it extremely
> annoying that a popup opens with every word I start typing,

I do write in natural language.  But also write mathematics with very
strange vocabulary and the popup is convenient because I can keep my
eyes en the text.  But it depends on the kind op popup.  I like the
small popup list from company mode next to the cursor, instead of a
minibuffer window, or a side emacs window.

One can put a delay for activating the popup.

> have you
> actually tried that and liked it? There's no lack of requests for such
> a behavior to be turned off by default, e.g.

> https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/11743.

There exist uses for it, but also understand others having the ability to
switch it off (when done with a keybinding or simple function call, rather
that messing with the init file to switch it on or off permanently).

The biggest problem I see are those who are too prescriptive about emacs
functionality (those wanting exclusion of something permanently).  Exclusion
of functionality in a permanent way is often a lack of use case for that
individual to use it.  One never knows what valid use cases some dude could
have for something.