Subject: bug#51819: The Senselessness of Emacs Company Mode

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 17:07:28 -0300

> > I understand the OP's frustration though, because this simplicity is not
> > a given but the result of an exhausting process of research and
> > refinement, there are a lot of options and (ill-)advice usually comes in
> > the form of installing yet another extension. One has to learn many
> > things that would be better not to know.
>
> I am pleased to see you understand my point, because the development geniuses
> can't.

I don't think they don't understand your point, but as it is now your
report is not really actionable. You might try your luck discussing
the point in emacs-devel, even so company is not part of emacs but a
development of the community, not to mention company extensions and
extensions of extensions up to the nth degree. Perhaps you believe
that this is a consequence of some limitation of the builtin UI and/or
protocol that triggered an extension industry around solving emacs
shortcomings and may want to discuss that. I don't see anything
terribly wrong in said UI and protocol, the UI may be a little clunky
for current standards but it's sturdy, gets the job done and is easily
replaceable (although I've argued for an improved builtin experience
which doesn't seem too far-fetched) and the protocol is not as rich as
company's but it's rich enough for most purposes and there is no way
to prevent that a new extension X adds some novel feature, gains
traction and a new X-.* extension industry flourishes, that's out of
the maintainer's hands and, for better or worse, part of emacs DNA.

Best regards,
Carlos