Subject: bug#51815: 27.2; Strange interaction between Org and Diary

From: Robert Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 19:16:16 +0000

I have a very strange problem where Org appears to interfer with the
rest of Emacs....

I use Org mode but I also use the normal calendar and diary.

This has an unwanted effect if I open an org file.  After org has been
started the calendar no longer functions as expected.  If I press "i d"
then it fails to insert an entry in the diary file.  A warning in
*Messages* says:

"command-execute: Wrong type argument: commandp, org-agenda-diary-entry"

I don't use org-agenda, BTW.

To clarify there are two conditions that are needed to see this
behaviour.

1) Org-mode has been started in the Emacs session.

It does not happen if org-mode hasn't been started (e.g. by opening an
org file in another buffer).

2) Org-mode must be started first before calendar.

If calendar is started first and org-mode is started second then the
calendar works.

I didn't know if I should file and Org bug or an Emacs one.  I can
resend it as an Org bug if you want.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-26 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started
nil
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
command-execute: Wrong type argument: commandp, org-agenda-diary-entry
Preparing diary...
No diary entries for Friday, November 19, 2021
Preparing diary...done
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help. [2 times]
Saving file /home/rt/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/rt/.emacs.d/init.el

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch multi-isearch
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs mule-util cal-move org-element
avl-tree generator cl-extra help-mode ol-eww eww mm-url thingatpt
url-queue ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars svg xml dom
browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date subr-x noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs bookmark easymenu text-property-search pp server completion
avoid tab-line seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv misc edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 173287 16026)
 (symbols 48 19563 18)
 (strings 32 63555 2971)
 (string-bytes 1 2166679)
 (vectors 16 36174)
 (vector-slots 8 1014598 188322)
 (floats 8 737 237)
 (intervals 56 980 56)
 (buffers 1000 18))