Subject: bug#51776: revert-buffer causes spurious scrolling when the buffer is displayed in two windows.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 21:21:49 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

In the master branch:

(i) emacs -Q
(ii) C-x C-f ..../doc/lispref/display.texi
(iii) C-x 2 ; to split the windows with a horizontal divider.
(iv) Move to the "top" window (if not already there) with C-x o.
(v) M-< ; to the beginning of the buffer
(vi) After the line "@Chapter Emacs Display", insert a new line
  "@node Display2"

(vii) Move to the "bottom" window with C-x o.
(viii) M->  ; to the end of the buffer.
(ix) Type a new last line "@cindex Help!".

(x) M-x revert-buffer RET yes RET

The "bottom" window now spuriously scrolls to the top of the buffer.
This is a bug.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).