Subject: bug#49505: closed (Re: bug#51749: 29.0.50; Emacs 29 Creates Only Emacsclient Icon in Ubuntu Dock)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 08:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#51749: 28.0.50; Multiple launchers in GNOME

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51749: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51749
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#51749: 29.0.50; Emacs 29 Creates Only Emacsclient Icon in Ubuntu Dock
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Tim Ruffing <[email-masked]>, Peter Oliver <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 01:50:02 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Peter Oliver <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Ideally there would be a "semi-daemon"
>>> mode, which is in between the daemon mode and the normal mode: The
>>> first invocation launches a daemon, further invocations (e.g., using
>>> emacsclient, or dbus) would just create new frames BUT if you close the
>>> last frame, no daemon will stay around. This would exactly match the
>>> behavior of other desktop applications.
>>
>> We have this behaviour in Emacs 29.  To get it, a user has to opt-in
>> by calling function server-stop-automatically.
>
> I've only lightly skimmed this bug report -- does this mean that this
> bug report can be closed?

More information was requested, but none was given within ~10 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 28.0.50; Multiple launchers in GNOME
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:38:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I built Emacs master (commit: 3fa711c11d1497418fdf8a866b7ba52dd3b00e0e)
and now I see two launchers (.desktop files) in GNOME:

- Emacs
- Emacs (Client)

The first one is the one I added to my favourites in GNOME, thus it's the 
launcher I've always used in my GNOME dash panel to launch Emacs. See attachment 
1.png.

However, this launcher now always spawns a new Emacs (Client), resulting in two 
Emacs icons in my GNOME dash. See attachment 2.png.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0) of 2021-07-10 built on hathaway
Repository revision: 3fa711c11d1497418fdf8a866b7ba52dd3b00e0e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation CC=gcc-10'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   icomplete-vertical-mode: t
   icomplete-mode: t
   save-place-mode: t
   global-company-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   git-identity-magit-mode: t
   minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
   minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   global-diff-hl-mode: t
   mu-keys-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   window-divider-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210701.1116/transient hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort flymake-proc flymake compile comint ansi-color vc-git
goto-addr thingatpt mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cursor-sensor
icomplete saveplace company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company git-identity f
dash s modus-operandi-theme modus-themes autorevert filenotify dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs mb-depth minibuf-eldef mode-local advice
find-func recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist diff-hl log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode modeline packages
pdf-loader cl-extra help-mode hydra ring lv built-ins rx pcase ibuf-macs
derived core-settings edmacro kmacro disp-table core-packages
no-littering core-lib easy-mmode tex-site info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 265148 29271)
  (symbols 48 18464 1)
  (strings 32 53598 3783)
  (string-bytes 1 1798929)
  (vectors 16 29296)
  (vector-slots 8 531093 10580)
  (floats 8 163 978)
  (intervals 56 598 0)
  (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu