Subject: bug#51748: 29.0.50; Emacs 29 Creates Only Emacsclient Icon in Ubuntu Dock

From: J Boyko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:38:45 +0300

There are a couple of things that come to mind as a prelude to this issue:

- switched to ZSH and Oh-My-ZSH a couple of days ago.

- built Emacs 29 (latest from source) today on Ubuntu 20.04.

After installing the newly built Emacs, I noticed that the icon in the 
Ubuntu Dock didn't seem to work. I removed the icon. I then went into 
Applications and launched an instance of Emacs. It worked. I added it to 
the favorites in the dock. I closed the instance. I then went to click 
the icon again. It opened a weird Emacsclient instance, which didn't 
split the frame into three windows like it always does at startup (I 
have this written in .emacs).

To summarize, whenever I launch from the applications, I can start a 
"normal" Emacs version. As soon as I add its icon to the dock, the icon 
begins launching Emacs(client) version.

In the applications, I have three icons: Emacs, Emacs(client), 
Emacs(Terminal). None of the three icons Emacs, Emacs(client), 
Emacs(Terminal). behaves the way it used to in the dock. A fourth option 
that replicates the original behavior may be warranted. That is, we need 
something that starts an actual new Emacs instance. As many new 
instances as desired.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2021-11-09 built on selfishman-desktop
Repository revision: 5e393e2a97398ac4c6335d83d04b94ba8a74982a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json 'CFLAGS=-O3
-mtune=native -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
projectile-mode: t
pyvenv-mode: t
sly-symbol-completion-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
which-key-mode: t
tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
tabbar-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/selfishman/.emacs.d/elpa/ac-sly/ac-sly hides 
/home/selfishman/.emacs.d/elpa/ac-sly-20170728.1027/ac-sly
/home/selfishman/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils comp comp-cstr rx projectile
lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs web-mode python-django
tree-widget sql view hippie-exp cl-extra yasnippet highlight-indentation
flymake-proc flymake warnings company-capf company pcase help-fns
radix-tree elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor diff-mode python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec ido grep compile
text-property-search files-x cus-edit wid-edit rainbow-blocks
rainbow-delimiters ac-sly auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup sly
sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common apropos etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode pp hyperspec
thingatpt multi-term term disp-table shell pcomplete ehelp comint
ansi-color ring which-key advice tabbar easy-mmode cus-load linum
zenburn-theme help-mode sly-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 301407 24147)
(symbols 48 25189 1)
(strings 32 81560 4310)
(string-bytes 1 2899961)
(vectors 16 39916)
(vector-slots 8 707054 23465)
(floats 8 178 305)
(intervals 56 428 0)
(buffers 992 15))