Subject: Re: bug#51744: 29.0.50; void symbol emoji-describe

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:06:37 +0100

>>>>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:00:11 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>> Until ldefs-boot has been updated
    >> 
    >> FTR, all you need to do is copy a correct loaddefs.el over ldefs-boot.el
    >> and commit the latter.

    Lars> Oh, great -- I didn't know that.  I grepped for "ldefs-boot" in the tree
    Lars> to see whether we had any instructions concerning that file, but I
    Lars> didn't find anything.  (I did find the ./admin/update_autogen script,
    Lars> and tried running it, but it failed here.)

loadup.el:185

What failed? If you have a clean tree, and run 'admin/update_autogen -L'
it will regenerate ldefs-boot.el

    Lars> Perhaps we should mention this somewhere?  But I'm not sure where --
    Lars> CONTRIBUTE doesn't seem to be quite the right place.

People who know, know, and people who donʼt know won't know where to
look (and then thereʼs me, who forgets, and has to go re-read
loadup.el 😊). CONTRIBUTE is better than not documenting it (although
maybe it should go in 'admin/release-process' as well).

Robert
--