Subject: Re: bug#51742: 29.0.50; user-error: Cannot invoke transient emoji--command-Emoji while minibuffer is active

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:09:02 +0100

>   (when (> (minibuffer-depth) 0)
>     (user-error "Cannot invoke transient %s while minibuffer is active" name))
>
> Jonas, is there any reason for this check?  Things seem to work just
> fine if I remove it.  (Or perhaps the check should be removed if
> enable-recursive-minibuffers is non-nil?)

In most cases it just works.  But when it does not work then it doesn't
just fail gracefully but can result in emacs having to be killed from
the outside because of inconsistent state of transient maps and hooks.
At least that was the case in the past.  I have some changes sitting in
the next branch that should fix that.

I actually was working on making sure that there are no remaining
edge-cases when a new wave of feature requests and contributions started
to arrive and I had to shift my focus.  But I plan to resume work on
this very soon.  For testing purposes you can use the next branch and
remove this check, but it is not ready for general use just yet.

     Jonas