Subject: Re: bug#51734: 29.0.50; got slow

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 11:43:36 +0900

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:08:09 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Building Emacs with -O0 should never make Emacs so slow as described
> by the OP.  Disabling optimizations generally makes Emacs about 2.5 to
> 3 times slower, but that's still a far cry from response time of a
> second or two to C-s.

Yes, I have no problem with -O0 on Emacs master till last week
and also on 28, 27, 26.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:53:00 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Does this happen with any text in any buffer?  If the problem is
> limited to some buffers, please try to figure out which buffers
> exhibit the problem.

It happens on any buffer.

> Also, please show the information collected by report-emacs-bug about
> your build details.

What report-emacs-bug creates is attached below.  This was made
by Emacs from git head, built by `make bootstrap' a moment ago.

Probably what I should do could be bisecting the recent commits.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 3.22.28, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-11-11 built on ************
Windowing system distributor 'The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.12012000
Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' --verbose --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
GFILENOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/egg/egg hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/sj3-egg/egg

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search seq gv byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date subr-x help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib japan-util
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
gfilenotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 57962 5923)
 (symbols 48 6803 1)
 (strings 32 19443 1699)
 (string-bytes 1 630570)
 (vectors 16 14836)
 (vector-slots 8 296901 9906)
 (floats 8 27 35)
 (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 10))