Subject: Re: bug#51733: 27.1; Detect impossible email addresses better

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:54:58 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, I understand the general concern, but I'm asking how serious is
> this in practice.  Can you tell?

I don't know how to quantity that.  We're talking about security
mechanisms, and they should be reliable.

(But, yes, the differences are massive, especially in the Asian parts of
the data.)

>> In addition, that table assumes that each character belongs to a single
>> script, which is also wrong.  So I'm making a new table based on
>> Scripts.txt and ScriptExtensions.txt.
>
> It is confusing to have 2 separate properties of a character that are
> subtly incompatible, and for such obscure properties at that.  It will
> be source of many problems.  So I think we should avoid that if it's
> feasible.  Can we plrase discuss any real problems that would be
> xaused by using the existing char-table?

It's impossible to implement the Unicode security recommendations based
on the Blocks.txt data -- it's that simple.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no