Subject: Re: bug#51733: 27.1; Detect impossible email addresses better

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:43:16 +0100

>>>>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:36:34 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Based on the message buffer I have, gnus didnʼt encode it again, so it
    >> must have been gmail. Of course that header was ascii-only, so why did
    >> they encode again?

    Lars> RFC2047 isn't just about ASCII -- it's about a bunch of other unsafe
    Lars> characters, like =, which will trigger encoding of (naked) words that
    Lars> contain those characters.

    >> What did the From: look like on the message you've just replied to?
    >> Gnus should not have encoded it, and it contained utf-8 in the display
    >> name.

    Lars> I included the From in wire format and displayed format already.

>From the original message where I rfc2047 encoded it myself, yes. The
one after I didnʼt encode manually, and turned off the gnus encoding.

Looking at the bug archive, for Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
we have:

From: Robert Pluĭm <[email-masked]>

with no rfc2047 in sight. Gmail is weird, let's go shopping :-)

Robert
--