Subject: bug#51733: 27.1; Detect impossible email addresses better

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:00:04 +0100

Robert "=?utf-8?Q?Plu=C4=ADm?=" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I canʼt recall if this is allowed by the standards or not offhand, but
> as youʼre probably well aware, the major email providers allow you to
> use UTF-8 characters directly in the display name of email adresses,
> without using RFC 2047 encoding. In fact, the last time I did any
> testing of this, Gmail *replaced* RFC 2047 encoded non-ASCII
> characters with their UTF-8 encoding.

Gmail expects you to type in characters representing your name -- they
don't expose the wire format.  Why should they?

And your address arrived as (wire format):

Robert =?us-ascii?Q?=3D=3Futf-8=3FQ=3FPlu=3DC4=3DADm=3F=3D?=

which displays as

Robert =?utf-8?Q?Plu=C4=ADm?=

😀

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no