Subject: bug#51733: 27.1; Detect impossible email addresses better

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:10:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I _am_ talking about the displayed format.  It would be better if
> textsec supported those as well, because they are ubiquitous in
> Emacs.

And, again, these functions as implemented work on the protocol level,
because that's the interesting thing here.  "Is this From: header
suspicious?"  That can only be determined reliably if we don't get any
DWIM involved.

> E.g., what if someone sends me a citation from someone else's
> email, and I want to textsec-check that citation?  Chances are the
> citation will not include RFC2047 encoded addresses.

You can, of course, add all kinds of things to try to gues whether other
things in other places in Emacs are suspicious or not, but that is not
what these functions I've written do.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no