Subject: Re: bug#51712: 29.0.50; [PATCH] New function `xwidget-webkit-load-html'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:02:50 +0100

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Hmm... this is better, but at least I am still in the dark regarding
>> the need for this optional argument.  E.g., what would happen if you
>> use that tag, but don't specify the URI?
>
> I'm in the dark too.  I am not a web developer, and browser engines are
> remarkably lax about these things, but hopefully Lars can explain better
> (after all, shr must deal with these things too), so I added him to the
> Ccs.

The base URI is used when expanding relative links.  So if you have HTML
that looks like

<a href="foo.html"><img src="img.png"></a>

then the browser can't resolve those two URLs without having the base
URI.  So you'd pass in a base URI of https://example.com/foo/bar/zot if
that's where the HTML snippet is from.

When the URLs are absolute, the base URI is irrelevant.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no