Subject: bug#51696: Request: Adopt the unofficial GUIX community on Matrix

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 09:52:02 -0500

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm curious; have you tried any Matrix client that do not require a browser or need a large amount of system resources
> to operate? --Maxim
>
> I was doing quick testing of other clients +- 7 months ago and decided to use element. I didn't do any additional testing
> after that. Is there any reason why should I check them?

I was curious because you said in your experience the clients other than
Element worked well (which is not my experience).

> I am not aware of any matrix's client that requires a large amount of processing resources to operate (excluding miitrix
> for Nintendo DS allegedly which is allegedly due to the used Infrastructure on the device).. would be a major problem for
> me if it did as my devices are optimized for battery life and tent to overheat on such use.

When I used tried using it a couple years back it was consuming easily 1
GiB of memory in the browser, sometimes 2.  That's what I meant by
"large amount of resources".  In comparison, the WeeChat IRC client I
use holds in less than 20 MiB of RAM.

Thanks,

Maxim