Subject: Re: bug#51696: Request: Adopt the unofficial GUIX community on Matrix

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 09:07:51 +0100

Hi Jacob,

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 at 00:02, Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There is an unofficial GNU Guix community on matrix (#guix:matrix.org)
>> with 375 members and an unofficial matrix space that i've created
>> (https://matrix.to/#/#gnu-guix:tchncs.de) which consist of
>> IRC<->Matrix bridged channels.
>>
>> Proposing for GNU Guix to adopt this community, it's moderators and my
>> space to configure IRC<->Matrix bridge (less then 4000 CPU cycles per
>> day last time i checked) to connect those two communities and users
>> who prefer either of those protocols to increase the reach of GNU Guix
>> to new users.

[...]

> You propose that GNU Guix should adopt "this community, it's moderators
> and my space".  Who are these moderators?  Who controls the "space"?
> Who gets to decide who is given moderation privileges over the "space"?

In addition to these concerns about moderating the “channel” of
communication, from a practical point of view, there is another concern
about the server or bridge.  Who manages it?  For instance, the
maintenance cost of the IRC infrastructure is delegated to “trusted”
people behind https://libera.chat/.  What about the example you provided
https://matrix.to/#/#gnu-guix:tchncs.de?

In other words, the concern is two levels.  As example, the current IRC
channel #guix on https://libera.chat is “official” because:

 1. the channel itself is moderated by trusted Guixers (even
    maintainers, I guess);

2. the infrastructure which runs IRC is moderated by “trusted” people;
   for instance, the recent switch from Freenode to Libera points the
   cost.

Mark is asking about #1.  Then what about this #2?  Although, the Matrix
protocol allows federation, at one moment, server or bridge need to
effectively run.

Last, I do not have an opinion about communication technology.  And I
receive all the initiatives for attracting people as a gift.  However,
being “official” implies costs and these costs should be carefully
discussed before jumping, IMHO.

Cheers,
simon