Subject: Closing without action

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 21:54:24 +0100

Hi Michael,

OK, that's what I expected, but I had to ask.  Thanks!

May I publicly (hah) share your message to definitively close this
‘bug’ report?

Michael Albinus 写道：
> search engines will have indexed those bugs
> the bugs are spread via mailing lists

I might've been unclear: their request was not, AIUI, to make the 
data
disappear from ‘the Internet’ or its archives, so neither of the 
above
are relevant.  I agree that that would have been ludicrous, but it 
is
perfectly possible to edit your hosted copy…

…however, it's absolutely your prerogative to refuse as far as I'm
concerned[0], and I do sympathise with you not wanting to set this
kind of precedent.  Thanks for entertaining the question anyway! 
:-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: IANA(GDPR)L, and very glad of it.

Subject: Re: Removing personal info from existing bug
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:50:45 +0100

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!

Hi Tobias,

> We received a request to edit an existing bug[0] to remove the
> submitters' full name, which was used by accident.  Is this possible?
>
>> Replace it
>> with Botfiddler or Sven if you need a real name. Sorry for the
>> bother
>> and thanks.
>
> Double thanks from me if it is :-)
>
> Now…  they then went ahead and signed *that* request with their full
> name.  Probably not understanding how the bug tracker works. If you
> would be willing to also edit their name out of [1], we'd approach
> triple levels of gratitude.

I'm sorry, but that won't work. The bug database is public, and so are
the date. Many search engines will have indexed those bugs already,
including the real names.

If you run a google search with "Fira Byvire Frirevav" (string puzzled
with rot13), the third hit will show the message on
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50371>.

Furthermore, the bugs are spread via mailing lists, for which we don't
have control. Full data are contained as well.

> I'll explain the nature of the bug tracker to them now.

Please do.

> Kind regards,
> T G-R

Best regards, Michael.