Subject: bug#51694: closed (Closing without action)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 21:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#51694: issues.guix.org/50371

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51694: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51694
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Closing without action
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], botfiddler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 21:54:24 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Michael,

OK, that's what I expected, but I had to ask.  Thanks!

May I publicly (hah) share your message to definitively close this
‘bug’ report?

Michael Albinus 写道：
> search engines will have indexed those bugs
> the bugs are spread via mailing lists

I might've been unclear: their request was not, AIUI, to make the 
data
disappear from ‘the Internet’ or its archives, so neither of the 
above
are relevant.  I agree that that would have been ludicrous, but it 
is
perfectly possible to edit your hosted copy…

…however, it's absolutely your prerogative to refuse as far as I'm
concerned[0], and I do sympathise with you not wanting to set this
kind of precedent.  Thanks for entertaining the question anyway! 
:-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: IANA(GDPR)L, and very glad of it.

Subject: Re: Removing personal info from existing bug
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:50:45 +0100

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!

Hi Tobias,

> We received a request to edit an existing bug[0] to remove the
> submitters' full name, which was used by accident.  Is this possible?
>
>> Replace it
>> with Botfiddler or Sven if you need a real name. Sorry for the
>> bother
>> and thanks.
>
> Double thanks from me if it is :-)
>
> Now…  they then went ahead and signed *that* request with their full
> name.  Probably not understanding how the bug tracker works. If you
> would be willing to also edit their name out of [1], we'd approach
> triple levels of gratitude.

I'm sorry, but that won't work. The bug database is public, and so are
the date. Many search engines will have indexed those bugs already,
including the real names.

If you run a google search with "Fira Byvire Frirevav" (string puzzled
with rot13), the third hit will show the message on
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50371>.

Furthermore, the bugs are spread via mailing lists, for which we don't
have control. Full data are contained as well.

> I'll explain the nature of the bug tracker to them now.

Please do.

> Kind regards,
> T G-R

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: issues.guix.org/50371
From: "botfiddler" <[email-masked]>
To: "guix-patches" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 00:01:46 +0100 (CET)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I didn't setup my email address correctly before issuing that bug. Could you please remove my full name from the issue? Replace it with Botfiddler or Sven if you need a real name. Sorry for the bother and thanks.

Regards,
Bottfiddler