Subject: bug#51642: Package wishlist location

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 17:09:28 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 07 Nov 2021 at 00:57, "bdju" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>                                           which I think is where package
> requests are intended to go. At least, that's where I always add things
> I wish were packaged. I know Nixpkgs takes package requests on their
> issue tracker, but I don't typically see such things on the guix mailing
> lists.
>
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist

Well, first Debbugs has the tag ’wishlist’ [1] and second I am not
convinced that people package software based on wishlist (wherever the
list is).  Personally, I package what I use or need.

>From my point of view, I would prefer this wishlist about packages
outside the Bug Tracker.  I am fine with wishlist for missing features
because they are somehow kind of bug but not for packages – without
looking far, I can think to more than 50 Scientific packages missing,
and I do not see the need to list such packages or how it helps the
project to get them listed – for what my opinion is worth here – and if
such wishlist is useful, then it appears to me simpler to have the
complete list at one unique location (for instance [2]), instead of
filtering first the Bug Tracker to get such wishlist.

1: <https://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html#severities>
2: <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist>

Cheers,
simon