Subject: bug#51638: 26.1; Writing Romanian Characters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:28:16 +0100

--text follows this line--

---- BEGIN DESCRIPTION ----
Hello all,

After asking a solution to a personal problem on the help-gnu-emacs mailing
list, I was told to submit a bug report. So here is the issue:

Sometimes I need to use Romanian characters. After I configure emacs to use
the Romanian language environment with set-language-environment I activate
an input method that allows me to write these characters with C-\.

I works very well. I use the latin-2-postfix input method to write
language specific characters. But, there is problem:

In the above mentioned input method if I write

      s ,

I obtain the character

      ş (UNICODE: U+015F; ISO-8859-2/iso-latin-2: 0xBA or 186; Entity: &scedil;)

which is very similar but NOT THE SAME with the Romanian character

      ș (UNICODE: U+0219; ISO-8859-16/iso-latin-10: 0xBA or 186; Entity: &#x219;)

These are two distinct characters. Visually there is no problem reading a
Romanian text containing U+015F instead of U+0219 but there can be problem
when we perform character conversions or searches.

For example if I write my Romanian text with U+015F instead of U+0219 and
save it in unicode all works well. But then if I want to convert that file
to ISO-8859-16, the convertor will tell me that the character U+015F cannot
be converted to the requested character set.

By giving emacs the command "describe-language-environment" in the Romanian
environment I can see that  iso-latin-10 is listed as a Coding system appropriate
for this environment.

My question is: Is it possible to configure emacs use iso-latin-10 instead
of iso-8859-2 in the Romanian enviroment?

Best regards
Cristian

---- BEGIN DESCRIPTION ----

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
  of 2021-01-31, modified by Debian built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el (source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
ESC <drag-mouse-1> is undefined
Mark set [3 times]
ESC <mouse-1> is undefined

Configured using:
  'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
  x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
  --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
  --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-9Yet8u/emacs-26.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair paren
cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 104718 7893)
  (symbols 48 21356 2)
  (miscs 40 65 204)
  (strings 32 30055 1038)
  (string-bytes 1 768403)
  (vectors 16 14759)
  (vector-slots 8 497148 7484)
  (floats 8 51 188)
  (intervals 56 278 0)
  (buffers 992 11))