Subject: bug#51622: 29.0.50; [PATCH v3] Abbreviate remote home directories in `abbreviate-file-name'

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 17:14:33 -0800

On 11/15/2021 8:59 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> Fixing your comments below *did* regress performance for abbreviating
>> Tramp file names compared to current master (it takes 1.47x as long
>> now in the worst case), but it's still considerably faster than Emacs
>> 28. I've attached updated benchmark results to show the difference.
> 
> Yes, that's the price we have to pay for clean code. I've explained why
> it is needed.

Agreed. It's better to be "slow and right" than "fast and wrong". :)

> I've committed everything to master. Then I ran the regression tests,
> and there were indeed some few surprises. All of them shall be fixed now
> with my commit after yours.

Thanks for merging everything. I'll be sure to keep the changes in your 
followup commit in mind (especially the `tramp-compat-funcall' parts) if 
I make any future Tramp patches.

> I tend to close this bug report now, since everything reported has been
> implemented. The open points don't need this bug anymore for progress.
> 
> WDYT?

Sounds good to me, we can close this.