Subject: bug#51621: 29.0.50; bibtex.el biblatex "2.1.3 Non-standard Types" support

From: Leo Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 13:49:45 -0600

Dear Roland,

Happy new year! I'm glad you are adding more customization. 1. Why is the
standard value of bibtex-BibTeX-aux-entry-alist given as '(("Conference"
"Article in Conference Proceedings" "InProceedings")) ? 2. I still don't
understand the point of making a distinction between "dialects". As I've
tried to emphasize before, which fields are accepted is under the purview
of the bst (for bibtex) or bbx/cbx/lbx file (for biber+biblatex) that the
user will eventually use. That can't be inferred from the contents of a
.bib file; in fact, a .bib file could be used in multiple different
projects with different bst/bbx/cbx/lbx files, all of which allow for
different fields. I still maintain that the best approach is to be
permissive about *parsing* entries in bibtex-parse-entry. That is a
different question from the contents of templates provided by C-c C-e
[KEY], for which of course the mode must know about the structure of each
given entry.

Best
Leo

On Thu, Jan 2, 2025 at 12:00 AM Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02 2024, Roland Winkler wrote:
> > I am currently working on a patch for bibtex-mode that will make it
> > easier for users to customize the entry types known by a dialect,
> > including the possibility to define aliases for entry types.  This
> > patch should be installed on master in a few weeks.  (I want to test
> > it first.)
>
> I added new variables bibtex-BibTeX-aux-entry-alist and
> bibtex-biblatex-aux-entry-alist that should facilitate the customization
> of entry types.  Also, these variables now accept aliases.  Please try
> it out.
>
> commit b26418694e8
>