Subject: Re: bug#5162: 23.1.90; display-time broken in non-X build

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:09:29 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:59:19 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I agree.  Does anyone know why, and which change(s) caused this?
> 
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-10/msg00117.html

Thanks for the reminder.

> If no good solution can be found, it can be reverted at no great loss.

Maybe we should.  Having loaddefs.el depend on the particulars of the
build will definitely open a can of worms, because *.el files are
generally considered architecture and build independent.  For example,
does it still work to invoke Emacs built with X with the -nw option?

In general, if some build-dependent set of autoloads is skipped, then
how can we be sure that a binary which supports two different
configurations will work?