Subject: bug#5162: 23.1.90; display-time broken in non-X build

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:09:46 -0500

> I see that you have already committed it, and it has definitely improved
> the situation, but it is still necessary to run "make clean" when
> re-configuring "--without-x" (before your patch, only the brute
> "make maintainer-clean" would have done the trick).

Hmm... indeed it seems that the normal build procedure runs
`cd lisp; make autoloads' only when lisp/loaddefs.el is missing and
doesn't otherwise update the file.

The patch below should fix that, tho at the cost of making the autoloads
twice in the bootstrap case.  Can you confirm it fixes the problem?
Assuming it does, I'm not sure whether we should use such a patch as is,
or whether we should "do it right"

        Stefan

--- Makefile.in.~1.213.~	2009-12-01 12:51:45.000000000 -0500
+++ Makefile.in	2009-12-10 13:26:49.000000000 -0500
@@ -109,7 +109,7 @@
 # with "make -j" and results in more deterministic compilation warnings.
 # cus-load and finder-inf are not explicitly requested by anything, so
 # we add them here to make sure they get built.
-all: compile-main $(lisp)/cus-load.el $(lisp)/finder-inf.el
+all: autoloads compile-main $(lisp)/cus-load.el $(lisp)/finder-inf.el
 	@: Let us check that we byte-compiled all the files.
 	$(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) compile-last EMACS=$(EMACS)