Subject: bug#5162: 23.1.90; display-time broken in non-X build

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:27:51 +0100

On 2009-12-10 08:58 +0100, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>>> The with and without-x loaddefs.el files are no longer identical.
>>> Then we need to detect this situation somehow and cause loaddefs.el to
>>> be updated correspondingly.
>> The only idea I had was to regenerate loaddefs from scratch whenever
>> src/config.h changes.
>
> I think the way to make it work is to let autoload.el store the
> autoload-excludes in the loaddefs.el file (as a special comment,
> similar to the special comment listing the files that had no autoload
> cookies).
> Then autoload can compare the old list with the new one and force scan
> any new unexcluded file, even if it's older than the timestamp.
>
> Tho, maybe just not storing the auto-excludes in the "no-autoloads"
> section might be enough to do the trick.  E.g. the patch below seems to
> do the trick for me,

I see that you have already committed it, and it has definitely improved
the situation, but it is still necessary to run "make clean" when
re-configuring "--without-x" (before your patch, only the brute
"make maintainer-clean" would have done the trick).

Sven