Subject: bug#51606: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Show offscreen context with properties

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 13:57:08 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 10:40:47 +0100
>> 
>> paren.el now can show the context in minibuffer when
>> `show-paren-context-when-offscreen' is non-nil (introduced in this
>> change 9f505c476e).  Is it possible to extend this that text properties
>> are not stripped?  I'm thinking about something like this:
>
> Why do we remove the properties in the first place?  Daniel, any
> special reasons?

No reason other than being cautious and "follow the traditional behavior
of blink-matching-open".  The code that I extracted from
blink-matching-open to reuse it for show-paren-mode removed the text
properties (see
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/simple.el?h=emacs-28#n8608).
If I'm not mistaken, this was apparently introduced in 2005 by Richard
Stallman
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-28&id=1d0e3fc84f058248515f242c0484a0dabfac95aa),
but I don't know the reasons for the change.  Perhaps it didn't look
good on some TTY frames?