Subject: Re: bug#51605: Fwd: [PATCH] Update themes to support mode-line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 14:37:36 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 22:49:44 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I don't think we should change defaults of the faces because someone
> > prefers to have them look differently.  Faces can be easily
> > customized, so people who don't like the defaults can have the faces
> > they like very easily.
> 
> Me neither.  I think they should change if the new proposal is better.

I don't see why they would be better.  They are just different.  the
current defaults are borrowed from linum.el, where they were used for
ages by many people.

It is okay for themes to modify that face: that's what themes are for,
after all.  But I see no reason to change the defaults.

> Perhaps it could make sense to ask people on emacs-devel or maybe even
> do one of our never criticized 30 days experiment on master to give
> people a feel for the change before deciding anything.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble.