Subject: Re: bug#51591: webkitgtk fails to build on i686-linux; possibly a clang issue

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:16:02 -0400

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 09:08:05AM +0100, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
>> I did some static code analysis and it seems we could comment out the
>> line
>>   CHECK_FOR_SSE2()
>> in Source/cmake/DetectSSE2.cmake.  In my personal opinion, we should
>> probably do so on all platforms.
>
> Do we not use SSE2 on x86_64?

SSE2 is guaranteed feature of the AMD64 (a.k.a. x86_64) architecture,
and it's a big help to use it, even where SIMD vector operations are not
needed.  It would be a bad idea to disable it outright.

I think we should hold out for a better solution than simply disabling
SSE2 support on all systems.

      Thanks,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.