Subject: bug#51578: closed (Re: bug#51578: 29.0.50; error on display-bindings when invoked from a tty)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 18:16:01 +0000

Your bug report

#51578: 29.0.50; error on display-bindings when invoked from a tty

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51578: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51578
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#51578: 29.0.50; error on display-bindings when invoked from a tty
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Bird <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 20:15:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Bird <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 18:05:30 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> When emacs -Q is ran in a tty(C-M-F2 on gnu/linux) and invokes
> >> describe-bindings, an error occurs. the debug information is:
> [snip]
> > Thanks.  Does the patch below help?
> >
> > diff --git a/lisp/outline.el b/lisp/outline.el
> > index 2a6f475..5b20a42 100644
> > --- a/lisp/outline.el
> > +++ b/lisp/outline.el
> > @@ -961,7 +961,8 @@ outline--make-button
> >                            " " (buffer-substring (point) (1+ (point))))))
> >  
> >  (defun outline--valid-emoji-p (string)
> > -  (when-let ((font (car (internal-char-font nil ?😀))))
> > +  (when-let ((font (and (display-multi-font-p)
> > +                        (car (internal-char-font nil ?😀)))))
> >      (font-has-char-p font (aref string 0))))
> >  
> >  (defun outline--valid-char-p (string)
> Thanks! the above patch does work in a tty.

Thanks, I've now installed it on the master branch.

> Is it possible to always use that triange thingy (which is used in a
> tty) instead of the emoji in describe-bindings? i much prefer those
> compared to emojis ;)

Yes, customize the option outline-minor-mode-buttons.

And with that, I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: 29.0.50; error on display-bindings when invoked from a tty
From: Bird <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 03:00:03 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,
When emacs -Q is ran in a tty(C-M-F2 on gnu/linux) and invokes
describe-bindings, an error occurs. the debug information is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp -1)
  outline--valid-emoji-p("▶️")
  outline--make-button(open)
  outline--make-button-overlay(open)
  outline--insert-open-button()
  outline-minor-mode-highlight-buffer()
  outline-minor-mode(1)
  describe-bindings()
  funcall-interactively(describe-bindings)
  call-interactively(describe-bindings nil nil)
  command-execute(describe-bindings)

i built emacs on commit f5a266700 (Rewrites of Elisp manual including
tab-bar and tab-line changes) although it that sha could be different as
it looks like there was a history change in emacs source.
The origin/master branch is at f2b8f29920 (Merge from origin/emacs-28)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-musl, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2021-11-02 built on laptop
Repository revision: f5a26670036dbbd8dbeffb940ceb807ed2d58610
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: void

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-cairo --with-modules
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --prefix=/usr'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(cus-edit cus-start cus-load cl-print misearch multi-isearch shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi pp shadow flyspell ispell emacsbug sendmail shr-color color
gnus-cite smiley mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg sort gnus-ml
disp-table qp nndraft nnmh nnmaildir nnfolder gnutls network-stream nsm
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr
kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
tsdh-dark-theme org-tempo tempo use-package-ensure use-package-core
display-line-numbers repeat cl-extra org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol rx org-keys oc org-compat
advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs icomplete help-mode cl info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 301927 61812)
 (symbols 48 25144 5)
 (strings 32 115988 4168)
 (string-bytes 1 4708502)
 (vectors 16 60107)
 (vector-slots 8 1297148 224532)
 (floats 8 419 554)
 (intervals 56 450 291)
 (buffers 992 23))