Subject: 28.0.60; Many issues with icomplete-in-buffer

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:41:06 -0300

Hi all,

I would like to use fido-mode in completion in-region / at-point
contexts. I realized there is a icomplete-in-buffer flag that is
intended to do that, at least for icomplete. So I started emacs with:

    (setq icomplete-in-buffer t)
    (icomplete-mode 1)

But the behavior is erratic to say the best. Say I'm in *scratch* and
want to autocomplete some symbol:

1. Doing M-<tab> once shows the icomplete menu, doing it again replaces
the *entire* buffer contents with just the selection.

2. Sometimes only the icomplete menu is shown, sometimes the traditional
*Completions* buffer is shown at the same time.

3. Pressing Enter doesn't select the candidate but inserts Enter.

4. If I enable fido-mode it disables and re-enables icomplete-mode but
leaves the icomplete completion-in-region-mode-hook uninstalled,
disregarding icomplete-in-buffer.

Maybe this is a legacy option that should be made obsolete, but it's a
pity that vanilla emacs provides so many alternatives for
completing-read but none for completion-at-point. The current
implementation wants to show the menu at point, this probably makes it
more complex, but simply showing the standard minibuffer icomplete
interface at the bottom would be a lot (like for example selectrum
does).

Best regards
--
Carlos

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, NS
appkit-2022.60 Version 11.6 (Build 20G165))
 of 2021-11-02 built on Carloss-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@28/28.0.50/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@28/28.0.50 --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --without-dbus --with-imagemagick --with-modules
 --with-rsvg --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode vc-dispatcher icomplete info easy-mmode package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68619 7911)
 (symbols 48 8282 1)
 (strings 32 25724 1866)
 (string-bytes 1 825669)
 (vectors 16 16218)
 (vector-slots 8 218902 10078)
 (floats 8 30 29)
 (intervals 56 347 450)
 (buffers 992 13))