Subject: Re: bug#51564: [PATCH] gnu: webkitgtk: Fix configure failures.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 03:16:34 -0400

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2021, 13:31 -0400 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
[...]
>> or (2) try using a newer C++ compiler.
> Is this really an issue with g++?

Not necessarily.  It could be that the code relies on compiler behavior
beyond what is required by the C++ standard.

> What does upstream use for compilation?

In the case, upstream's upstream (WebKit) is Apple, which I guess uses
some version of clang for compilation.  I'm currently trying to build
WebKitGTK with clang-11, and so far it looks hopeful.  It has gotten
beyond the point where it failed before, anyway.

I do not yet know whether it will ultimately succeed, but I went ahead
and pushed my preliminary patch to the 'gnuzilla-updates' branch.
(Admittedly, it's a slight abuse of that branch, but this was the most
expedient way for me to ask the Berlin build farm to try building
WebKitGTK and its dependents on the 'master' branch.)

If it turns out to work, feel free to push the commit to 'master' on my
behalf (with the "UNTESTED: " prefix removed from the log, of course).

     Regards,
       Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.