Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: webkit: Disable SSE2 when not on x86_64.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 04:55:36 -0400

Hi Liliana,

I have one more comment:

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> @@ -241,7 +241,7 @@ (define-public webkitgtk
>      (build-system cmake-build-system)
>      (outputs '("out" "doc"))
>      (arguments
> -     '(#:tests? #f ; no tests
> +     `(#:tests? #f ; no tests
>         #:build-type "Release" ; turn off debugging symbols to save space
>         #:configure-flags (list
>                            "-DPORT=GTK"

You'll need to remove this hunk in order to apply this to 'master',
since I've already made the change above in commit
4fd12fb00d595b6f6a5d5cc734863f4c4bc5f46c.

> @@ -295,6 +295,13 @@ (define-public webkitgtk
>                   (("libWPEBackend-fdo-([\\.0-9]+)\\.so" all version)
>                    (string-append wpebackend-fdo "/lib/" all)))
>                 #t)))
> +         ,@(if (string-prefix? "x68_64" (or (%current-target-system)
> +                                            (%current-system)))
> +               '()
> +               '((add-after 'unpack 'disable-sse2
> +                   (lambda _
> +                     (substitute* "Source/cmake/DetectSSE2.cmake"
> +                       (("CHECK_FOR_SSE2\\(\\)") ""))))))

As a general recommendation, it would be preferable to add the phase
only on the systems that need it (32-bit x86), instead of adding it on
every system except x86_64.  The code above will force rebuilds on every
system other than x86_64, whereas if the test was done as I suggested,
rebuilds would only happen on 32-bit x86 systems.

However, in this particular case it hardly matters, since our libsoup
package currently fails to build on any system that's not x86-based.

      Thanks,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.