Subject: Re: bug#51559: Webkit fails to build

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 00:21:44 -0400

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2021, 14:23 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>>> Note that on the core-updates-frozen-batched-changes branch webkitgtk
>>> (with libsoup2 or 3) could still be built with GCC (version 10).
>> Should we try building webkitgtk and its dependants with GCC 10 on
>> master
>
> I've already verified that webkitgtk-2.34.1 can be successfully built
> with GCC 10, because I tried it on my private branch (simply because I
> already have a built GCC 10 on my system, and I don't use substitutes).
> However, I ran into the same problem where programs linked to webkitgtk
> failed.
>
> My knowledge of C++ is weak (I avoid it like the plague) but I guess
> this might be because GCC 10 and GCC 7 use different versions of the
> standard C++ library, which are not ABI compatible with each other.
>
> Since GCC 10 is the default compiler on 'core-updates-frozen', I think
> it's quite likely that webkitgtk-2.34.1 and its programs can be built
> successfully on 'core-updates-frozen' with its default compiler.  That
> would need to be verified, of course.

It's already been verified on the core-updates-frozen-batched-changes
branch (which had webkitgtk-2.34.1 before master).

Thanks,

Maxim