Subject: bug#51559: Webkit fails to build

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 17:58:12 -0400

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2021, 14:23 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>> Note that on the core-updates-frozen-batched-changes branch webkitgtk
>> (with libsoup2 or 3) could still be built with GCC (version 10).
> Should we try building webkitgtk and its dependants with GCC 10 on
> master

I've already verified that webkitgtk-2.34.1 can be successfully built
with GCC 10, because I tried it on my private branch (simply because I
already have a built GCC 10 on my system, and I don't use substitutes).
However, I ran into the same problem where programs linked to webkitgtk
failed.

My knowledge of C++ is weak (I avoid it like the plague) but I guess
this might be because GCC 10 and GCC 7 use different versions of the
standard C++ library, which are not ABI compatible with each other.

Since GCC 10 is the default compiler on 'core-updates-frozen', I think
it's quite likely that webkitgtk-2.34.1 and its programs can be built
successfully on 'core-updates-frozen' with its default compiler.  That
would need to be verified, of course.

     Regards,
       Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.