Subject: bug#51556: 29.0.50; Poor contrast of Customize SVG icons with dark backgrounds

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 10:01:56 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think I understand what that means.  We disregard the colors
> specified by the SVG image?

No, we do respect colors specified by the SVG image.  That's why we see
the current behavior.

However, if no foreground color is specified in the SVG file, we use the
foreground color of the current face instead.  That's why the fix I
propose work.

> Sorry, at this stage I'd prefer not to install anything on the release
> branch that isn't a bugfix.  Or else take it up with Lars, and ask him
> to forget about releasing Emacs 28.1 soon, because this way it will
> take a while ;-)

I consider this a bug fix, but admittedly only a minor one.  However, I
also note that the visibility of those symbols is worse with a dark
theme in Emacs 28 than in Emacs 27, so we might consider it a
regression.

That said, I of course understand that some kind of line have to be
drawn, and I'm personally fine with installing this only on master.  If
people feel that it is important, perhaps we could consider backporting
the fix to Emacs 28.2 later (read: please speak up if you think so).