Subject: Re: bug#51556: 29.0.50; Poor contrast of Customize SVG icons with dark backgrounds

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 08:17:02 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Thinking about how to fix this in emacs-28, we discussed adding a face
>> and just removing the foreground color from the svg.
>
> Foreground or background?

Foreground.

> AFAIR, we already are able to display SVG with non-default background.
> As for foreground: what does it mean to remove the foreground from an
> image?  Aren't the foreground colors the most important part of an
> image?

It used to be the case that icons normally had 3D appearance and so on,
in which case we obviously couldn't change the colors easily.  Such
icons were normally distributed in some bitmap format.

These days, icons are treated more like glyphs, and the intention is
that they will have colors suitable for the context they are used in.
Such icons are normally distributed as SVG or indeed as TTF files.

See here for some examples:

    https://google.github.io/material-design-icons/#coloring