Subject: bug#51555: closed (Re: bug#51564: [PATCH] gnu: webkitgtk: Fix configure failures.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 18:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#51555: webkitgtk broken with commit 8797a07a

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51555: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51555
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#51564: [PATCH] gnu: webkitgtk: Fix configure failures.
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 14:09:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

FYI, I pushed commit 9d3a5ddc2700aa099bb1bf9c5e8b3062445b907a to
'master', which fixes the webkitgtk-2.34.1 build on x86_64-linux.  In
addition to the fixes already shown in Liliana's proposed patch,
9d3a5ddc27 also arranges to use clang-11 for compilation.

Unfortunately, the build fails on i686-linux, which is the only system
other than x86_64-linux where webkitgtk-2.32.4 was successfully built.

Note that I tried clang-11 first, because upstream WebKit surely uses
clang for compilation, and it works for building IceCat on Guix, so I
had it hunch that it was a good bet.  However, it would be good to now
try compiling webkitgtk-2.34.1 with a newer version of GCC.  It's
possible that might fix the build on i686-linux.

Anyway, I'm closing this bug.  I'll open another bug to track the
i686-linux issue.

     Thanks,
       Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.

Subject: webkitgtk broken with commit 8797a07a
From: zachary rothenberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 13:20:30 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It looks like webkitgtk won't build for me anymore after the version got
bumped to 2.34.1.

The error happens during configuration, with relevant logging
===============================
-- Could NOT find LibSoup: Found unsuitable version "", but required is at
least "2.99.9" (found LIBSOUP_INCLUDE_DIRS-NOTFOUND)
CMake Error at Source/cmake/OptionsGTK.cmake:212 (message):
  libsoup 3 is required.  Enable USE_SOUP2 to use libsoup 2 (disables
HTTP/2)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  Source/cmake/WebKitCommon.cmake:220 (include)
  CMakeLists.txt:20 (include)
===============================

If instead I time-machine to the previous commit
==============
guix time-machine --commit=80c0505f166101bbe6d55b8f2314d1a18227b3ee --
install webkitgtk
==============
it all builds fine.

I think the issue is that with version 2.33 webkitgtk started building with
libsoup3 by default. Since the last version in guix was 2.32.1 this would
explain why this bump started causing issues. The package the libsoup guix
pulls in (version 2) no longer satisfies the requirement and we can't
build. Potential fixes are setting USE_SOUP2 or building with libsoup3
instead.