Subject: Re: bug#51554: [PATCH] gnu: libva: Update to 2.13.0

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:49:46 -0500

Hello,

Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>> For the record, this entails lots of rebuilds, contrary to what one
>> might think:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -l -e '(force (@@ (gnu packages gl) libva-without-mesa))' 
>> Building the following 1478 packages would ensure 2711 dependent packages are rebuilt: […]
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> I suppose this could go to ‘core-updates’.
>
> My bad, I completely missed this.  I initially wanted to upgrade libva
> because the older version doesn't work on core-updates-frozen with
> Wayland compositors, so I think it should ideally belong there if
> possible to avoid having broken hardware acceleration for a while when
> that branch is merged.  If it does indeed lead to too many rebuilds,
> then maybe it could go onto core-updates-frozen-batched-changes, but
> then that'd delay its merging again.  I'm not too sure between those,
> but I think it should be one of them.

I had totally missed that for the batched branch.

Too bad.  I know Ludovic had concerns about a ~3K rebuilds; that's a lot
but currently only x86_64 and i686 are in a state of building the world
it seems, so that's about 6K packages.

I've bunched this with glib-networking, another similar sized rebuild,
manually built most of the dependents on berlin for x86_64, and pushed
as 0a787e67ecd0fab42c7ddfec639b53d58c15af6e.

Closing.

Maxim